Root is a game of adventure and war in which 2 to 4 players battle for control of a vast wilderness.
The nefarious Marquise de Cat has seized the great woodland, intent on harvesting its riches. Under her rule, the many creatures of the forest have banded together. This Alliance will seek to strengthen its resources and subvert the rule of Cats. In this effort, the Alliance may enlist the help of the wandering Vagabonds who are able to move through the more dangerous woodland paths. Though some may sympathize with the Alliance's hopes and dreams, these wanderers are old enough to remember the great birds of prey who once controlled the woods.
Meanwhile, at the edge of the region, the proud, squabbling Eyrie have found a new commander who they hope will lead their faction to resume their ancient birthright. The stage is set for a contest that will decide the fate of the great woodland. It is up to the players to decide which group will ultimately take root.
Play as the:
- Marquise de Cat - Dominate the woods, extracting its riches and policing its inhabitants.
- Eyrie Dynasties - Regain control of the woods while keeping your squabbling court at bay.
- Woodland Alliance - Gather supporters and coordinate revolts against the ruling regime.
- Vagabond - Seek fame and fortune as you gorge alliances and rivalries with the other players.
- Cards, Counters, and Faction Boards
- 50+ Screen-printed Wooden Warriors
- Double-sided Mounted Map (Autumn & Winter)
- Rules Reference and Robust Learn-to-play Manual